Modern Studies opens up the world of contemporary society for learners; what is happening in our world today. Developing learner’s knowledge and understanding of contemporary political and social issues in local, Scottish, United Kingdom and international contexts.
Modern Studies makes a distinctive contribution to the curriculum by drawing on the social sciences of politics, sociology and economics and where appropriate, of associated ideas drawn from other social subjects. It thereby adopts a multi-disciplinary approach. The main aims of Modern Studies are to enable learners to develop:
- a range of research, analytical and evaluating skills
- understanding of the democratic process and complex political issues
- understanding of complex social and economic issues at local, Scottish, national and international levels and ways of addressing needs and inequalities
- understanding of different views about the extent of state involvement in society
- understanding of the nature and processes of conflict resolution
- understanding of the importance of human and legal rights and responsibilities and their application in different societies