The James Young High School encourages all pupils to plan for their future and explore all opportunities and career paths.
We aim to ensure that all our young people are prepared for the transition to a positive post-school destination. All young people on their time of leaving school should have at least one offer of a learning destination.
What constitutes a positive post-school destination?
- Higher Education
- Further Education
- Training Placement
- Activity Agreement
Links with Skills Development Scotland
All pupils are able to access the Skills Development Scotland (SDS) website My World of Work and this should be the first place to look at careers advice. If you haven’t already done so, get registered now.
However, if you require further careers advice then you can:
- make an appointment via the School LIbrarian
- drop in on a Wednesday P3 or a Thursday lunchtime or after school.
- make use of the fantastic My World of Work website
SDS will also link into our PSE Programme.
There is an extensive careers section within the school library. Young people are encouraged to gather information from college and university prospectuses as well as well as training and employment opportunities.
Post School Programme
All leavers will have support to help them achieve their preferred positive post school destination. Our annual Post School Programme includes:
- College workshops to support application writing during the school day (pupils must book a slot)
- Personal Statement Advice workshop for all pupils to support the submission of draft Personal Statements
- Personal Statements workshops after school
- Ex-pupils event – giving their personal experience of studying at college, university or working successfully in a job or Modern Apprenticeship
- Jobs Cafe for pupils and parents
- Annual Careers Evening
- College and University presentations
- LEAPS and SAAS presentations on widening access and student finance
- College and University visits
- Assemblies with entrepreneurs to discuss self employment
- Assemblies to outline Summer School opportunities
Dates for the above activities can be found on our School Calendar
The James Young High School has strategies to support young people who require, for a variety of reasons, additional support to move into a post school destination. These strategies fall under the ‘More Choices, More Chances’ remit and can include the following:
- Extended work experience placements
- Mock interviews
- Employer visits
- Visits to training providers
- College campus visits
- Application form sessions and support
- Applications to West Lothian Council’s assisted programmes – Sibbalds, BLES, Hairdressing, Intouch
- Non-attender support at a neutral location
- Community projects – including charity work
- Volunteering opportunities
For all career related advice as well as useful tools such as a CV builder and Course Search – My World of Work
Make use of West Lothian’s own Positive Destinations website for information on current job opportunities as well as advice on all post school options.